Re: [Axiom-developer] AXIOM build with hacked GCL

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] AXIOM build with hacked GCL
Date: 16 Nov 2003 22:04:13 -0500

Greetings!

root <address@hidden> writes:

> Camm, David,
>
> re: broken build on HP Testdrive machines
>
> Yeah, I really should read my own README. What can I say, it was way
> past midnight :-)
>
> I'll apply those fixes and restart the build.
>
> re: Fedora
>
> Since RedHat has dropped support for RedHat 9 (or will in April) I
> joined Fedora (RedHat's open source version) as a developer. I'm
> looking into making Axiom a supported package as part of the Fedora
> releases. I built a Fedora machine locally and the build succeeded.
> I need to try running alien on your debian version to create an RPM
> and see if that will install. I know you've done it before but could
> you point me at your latest Debian apt package again?

ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/axiom/axiom_0.0.0cvs-11_i386.deb

(You can currently substitute several arches for i386, pretty much all
except for arm and m68k at present)

Alien should work just fine.  I'd be interested in knowing if it does
not.

> re: Red Flag Linux
>
> Also, Camm, I have a copy of Red Flag Linux (the chinese version of
> Linux). I can't read the install screens but I have a student who can.
> He also knows a few people who do translations from English to Chinese
> and I'm going to find out if I can get Axiom redone so it supports
> "native languages". If I get someone to do the translations I'll see
> if they are interested in GCL also.

Great!  This would be wonderful.  Have to say I'm quite ignorant of
the technology of translations, but its clearly very important.

> Native language support in pamphlets would be useful. It is rumored
> that there are languages other than english on the planet :-) I think
> this will be important in the long run, especially if we get Axiom
> running on every desktop.
>
> re: distributions
>
> IBM has an initiative, "Linux on the Desktop", and I'm trying to get
> a connection to them. If we can get a cross-effort of Axiom, IBM
> education, and IBM Linux on the Desktop we will be closer to being
> available everywhere.

Pretty impressive!

Take care,