Re: [Axiom-developer] AXIOM build with hacked GCL

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] AXIOM build with hacked GCL
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 12:37:29 -0500

Camm, David,

re: broken build on HP Testdrive machines

Yeah, I really should read my own README. What can I say, it was way
past midnight :-)

I'll apply those fixes and restart the build.

re: Fedora

Since RedHat has dropped support for RedHat 9 (or will in April) I
joined Fedora (RedHat's open source version) as a developer. I'm
looking into making Axiom a supported package as part of the Fedora
releases. I built a Fedora machine locally and the build succeeded.
I need to try running alien on your debian version to create an RPM
and see if that will install. I know you've done it before but could
you point me at your latest Debian apt package again?

re: Red Flag Linux

Also, Camm, I have a copy of Red Flag Linux (the chinese version of
Linux). I can't read the install screens but I have a student who can.
He also knows a few people who do translations from English to Chinese
and I'm going to find out if I can get Axiom redone so it supports
"native languages". If I get someone to do the translations I'll see
if they are interested in GCL also.

Native language support in pamphlets would be useful. It is rumored
that there are languages other than english on the planet :-) I think
this will be important in the long run, especially if we get Axiom
running on every desktop.

re: distributions

IBM has an initiative, "Linux on the Desktop", and I'm trying to get
a connection to them. If we can get a cross-effort of Axiom, IBM
education, and IBM Linux on the Desktop we will be closer to being
available everywhere.

Tim