[Axiom-developer] RE: Axiom tutorial by Bill

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: Axiom tutorial by Bill
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 21:06:07 -0500

On Saturday, November 08, 2003 11:15 AM Tim Daly wrote:
> re: tex macros
>
> One of the things to think about is that the tutorial was
> written to run in Axiom's help system called hyperdoc.
> Hyperdoc has several features that are enabled by embedded
> tex macros. All of these are in the axiom style file. Using
> tmdoc would break things in hyperdoc. We'll have to work out
> some compromise.

The version of the Axiom tutorial that I uploaded to the
Axiom website does not use nor depend on Hyperdoc at all.
The embedded tex macros that were used by the tutorial have
been replaced with (more or less) equivalent TeXmacs "style"
macros/functions.

tmdoc is the style that is used by the TeXmacs documentation.
I did not use it because 1) I didn't understand it 2) it
would involve significant changes throughout the text of
the tutorial. By writing a few simple new texmacs style
macros I was able to convert almost all of the LaTeX code
for the tutorial into TeXmacs native file format.

I am not sure what you mean by: "Using tmdoc would break things
in hyperdoc. We'll have to work out some compromise." since
as I see it right now, there is no way to directly use the
same coding for the tutorial in both TeXmacs and Hyperdoc.
For the most part TeXmacs is a (more or less) complete
replacement for the old Hyperdoc functionality of Axiom.
But it is not a one-for-one replacement and some things are
missing (such as live graphics).

Still according to my (admitted limited) experience with the
tutorial, most things that were originally coded in LaTeX do
come over rather easily to TeXmacs