Re: [Axiom-developer] Mark Botch

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Mark Botch
Date: 29 Oct 2003 20:24:25 -0500

:-)

(wondering what neat pseudonym still left for me to claim...)

Just a quick note to state that a significant gbc leak was plugged
some months ago due to a report by an acl2 user, which involved the
interaction of contiguous page garbage collection and SGC toggling.
Object modules are loaded into contiguous pages.  Wondering if there
is any significant size difference with --enable-static.  Wondering
also if axiom uses sgc.  Only time I've ever seen a mark botch is when
heap memory somehow gets allocated past heap_end and into either the
hole or the relocatable block section.  It may be useful to recall
that GCL memory is organized into non-relocatable pages of various
types below heap_end, then a hole of size holesize, then a relocatable
block section up to core_end, which can be extended up to maxpages.

I must say I haven't seen anything like this in ages -- the gbc has
been extremely stable since I've worked on gcl save for the one leak
mentioned above.  Of course I'd be most appreciative of any uncovering
of a bug in this area.

Take care,