RE: [Axiom-developer] Patch for algebra Makefile

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Patch for algebra Makefile
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:42:22 -0500

Juergen,

That is very good to hear.

I made a patch that was almost identical to yours below.
But things have not been kind to me. I am now using gcc
3.3.2 and the GCL .configure option --enable-static.

Earlier I was able to complete a compilation of all the
algebra except the three files that you mentioned in
your email using --enable-static. In spite of the missing
files, the static built version was able to run all of
the regression tests.

But when I made my patch to add the three files in almost
the same way that you have (except I did put INTRVL.o
in layer12 which seemed to be what Tim had planned),
unfortunately after a 6 hour compilation, the build
failed with an error when it tried to build the databases!
I get

    >> Sytem error:
    build error

  protected-symbol-warn called with (NIL)
  cp: cannot stat '/home/bpage/axiom-new/int/algebra/*.daase

There were no other errors reported.

So the apparently the make-databases failed. But oddly
I find if I manually copy the src/share/algebra/*.daase
databases into mnt/linus/algebra I do get what appears to
be a fully functional Axiom system.

Hmmm... I do not know the cause of this failure. There
now seem too many variables. :( However I expect it has
something to do with the --enable-static option.

Oh and BTW Tim and Camm, issuing )lisp (si::init-readline)
does make readline work. Aslo it only replied Value=T to me
and not all that other stuff I reported earlier.

Cheers,
Bill Page.