[Axiom-developer] Re: tm_axiom

From: Tim Daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: tm_axiom
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:26:44 -0400

> My idea about supporting both free and old NAG Axiom in TeXmacs is very
> simple (though not very clean, probably). Let's change the (new)
...[snip]...

I like the suggestion.

> One additional thought about the new tm_axiom. Currently, TeX-generation
> in Axiom produces horribly old-fashioned TeX, not modern LaTeX. It
> produces such monsters as
> {\root 3 \of x}
> TeXmacs does not understand this (rightfully, I think). The new tm_axiom
> tries to work around such issues. It would be much better to improve TeX
> generation in the free Axiom. Or to leave TeX generation as it stands,
> copy it into LaTeX generation, and improve it.

Yes, it is old-fashioned. There have been discussions about changing it
and I believe several people on the list have investigated it. Dylan
has looked at it deeply enough to understand where to patch simple
things. There is also work by Bill to look at the line-breaking algorithm
as well as discussion about embedding line-breaking into Axiom's tex code.

>                                                This should be not too
> difficult.

An old irish fellow once said: There is no such thing as a simple job.

Tim