[Axiom-developer] Re: GCL-2.5.3

From: Mark Murray
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: GCL-2.5.3
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 20:17:07 +0100

Tim Daly writes:
> If you go to line 1116 or so in the root Makefile.pamphlet
> there is a GCLVERSION variable. In theory you should only
> have to set this variable to GCL-2.5.3, put the gcl-2.5.3.tar.gz
> file in the zips subdirectory, set the AXIOM variable and type make.

I found that :-).

I already have a working port of GCL-2.5.3 for FreeBSD, and I'm trying
hard to make _that_ do the job, by bringing over patches from AXIOM
as they prove necessary.

I think I'm going to proceed further by making a GCL-CURRENT(2.7.1?)
port, and trying to use that.

I'm being bull-headed; I'm trying to make these packages with as little
"baggage" as possible, so I want GCL to use the existing GMP port,
rather than bringing its own (nearly there), using existing (fixed)
noweb, GCL, binutils etc. The more I get this right, the more I can
unencumber the build, and potentially speed it up for the FreeBSD
ports-building cluster.

Am I making sense? :-)

Mark Murray
iumop ap!sdn w,I idlaH