[Axiom-developer] Re: On website and porting and other points

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: On website and porting and other points
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 16:29:28 -0400

> Hello Tim,
>
> I have several issues with email currently. It appears that my french
> ISP Wanadoo takes several hours or days to transfer emails. :(

Email has been wierd lately. Axiom-developer posts show up 2 days late.
Or maybe I'm just a slow reader.

> To respond to several posts you have made on axiom-developer:
>
>  - website: I wanted to know if you agree to change the website. I
>    cannot guarantee to change it soon but I'll have a look at it as time
>    permits

You have my permission to change the website as you see fit. We need
you to do a quality job and I'm sure the group will give you feedback
about what "quality" means.

>  - MacOS X porting: there has been a lot of improvments on GCL side for
>    MacOS X recently. Look at gcl-devel mailing-list archive. Latest GCL
>    on CVS (2.5.4 and later) should have improved MacOS X support.

I sent a note to Aurelien Chanudet <address@hidden> who is the
person doing the port to see where I should start.

>  - ok for the cutoff date (*yearweek*). But I still believe that the
>    date should depend on the _sources_ and not the compilation time. I
>    have not checked in current CVS however I haven't any patch to
>    propose.

I'm open to discussion about this. Do you know any method of getting
the current source release information (assuming we update the sources
at least once a day)? Can we do this automatically?

>  - regarding dependencies on Xlib.h: I think you should _not_ include in
>    CVS the .rpm (or .deb or whatever) package. Or then you will fill
>    savannah with Mandrake, SuSE, RedHat, Slackware, ... packages. The
>    right fix is to tell in the doc the dependency on Xlib.h (this is
>    already the case in the FAQ) and, for more easier compilation, tell
>    needed packages on a given distribution (this is already the case for
>    Debian in the FAQ).

I agree. I'm working on the Mandrake port and have at least 8 packages
that need to be installed. I'll update the docs to explain this and
remove the rpm from Savannah.

>  - we need to add a README in top level directory

Sigh. Yeah, I suppose we do. :-) I'll write something and put it
up on Savannah.

> I swear, next time, I'll be more constructive. :)

Criticism is constructive. Personal attacks are not.
So far everything I've heard from everyone is constructive.
Except for the moronic idiot leading this project you've
all done a great job :-)

Tim, the moronic idiot
address@hidden
address@hidden