[Axiom-developer] Re: CVS tutorial for Developers

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: CVS tutorial for Developers
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 19:13:30 -0400

Bill,

I got the *.daase files. Thanks.

re: cvs for developers

There is a pamphlet I started called src/doc/DeveloperNotes which
is intended to keep track of the various things a developer might
find useful. It is just a collection of emails that I've sent about
various random subjects. I'll add the CVS information there.

re: compression

the cvs command will accept -z3 (right after the "cvs" and before
the command thus: (also works on ci, etc).

cvs -z3 update

This specifies "level 3" compression, a balance between time and bandwidth.

re: checkin

checkin is painfully slow. it took me 15 hours to checkin the original axiom
sources so I feel your pain :-) I presume checkin has to do "transactions"
so it needs to do a lot of back-and-forth traffic. I'm not sure why they
don't use rdiff under the covers but it is always easier to criticize
than to implement :-)

Tim
address@hidden
address@hidden