[Axiom-developer] databases vs NRLIBs

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] databases vs NRLIBs
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 10:16:13 -0400

*,

The databases are built from the .KAF files in the .NRLIB directories.
(.KAF files are random access files).

INTERP.EXPOSED is a file that names all of the CDPs (Category, Domain,
and Packages) and classifies them. Only some CDPs are exposed because
most are used to implement algebra and are not intended to be user level
functions. Exposing all of the functions causes much ambiguity.

There is a function called libcheck (see src/interp/util.lisp.pamphlet)
that will check NRLIBs vs INTERP.EXPOSED. This is only partially
functional as I see that changes were made to the system which broke
this function.

The libcheck function requires an absolute pathname to the int directory
so call it thus:

--> )lisp (libcheck "/axiom/int/algebra")

The main reason this function is broken is that the system now gets
exposure information from src/algebra/exposed.lsp.pamphlet. It appears
that INTERP.EXPOSED.pamphlet is no longer used (although I made sure
that both files have the same information). I'm going to modify libcheck
to use exposed.lsp in the future and eliminate all references in the
system to INTERP.EXPOSED.

For the moment, however, the libcheck function is quite useful.
It used to be run during system build because I frequently ran into
database problems and this function would alert me to that fact.
I'll add it back into the Makefile once I elide INTERP.EXPOSED.

Tim
address@hidden
address@hidden