[Axiom-developer] ADVI browser

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] ADVI browser
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 03:11:11 -0400

I saw a presentation of ADVI at the Libre Software Meeting (Metz, France).

I'm the lead developer on the Axiom project. Axiom is an open source
computer algebra system that was originally a commercial product from
the Numerical Algorithms Group (NAG). One of the key changes between
the NAG version of Axiom and the free version of Axiom is that I've
recoded the whole system into a literate programming style. So each
source file, rather than being C, Lisp, Boot, or Spad code is now a
"pamphlet" file which is basically Latex with 2 additional tags. The
source code and the documentation are both extracted from these pamphlet
files automatically.

The documentation files are .dvi files. I've been trying to decide on
a long term strategy that will allow people to organize these hundreds
of dvi files into a reasonable hierarchy. Basically what I need is a
dvi "browser", similar to mozilla, that will allow me to create a
hyperlink from one dvi file to another and open the linked file either
in a "tabbed window" or as a separate window.  It appears that ADVI
"almost" has this ability.

Is it possible to create html-style navigation among DVI files using
ADVI? If so, could you show me a trivial 2-file example? I have tried
and don't see how to do this. If not, how hard would it be to modify
ADVI to allow hyperlinks, tabbed panes, and a "back" button?

ADVI seems to be an ideal starting place for an Axiom documentation
viewer. I'm impressed with its abilities so far.

Many thanks,
Tim Daly
address@hidden
address@hidden