[Axiom-developer] subtle issue with generic rules

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] subtle issue with generic rules
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 17:52:20 -0400

Using generic rules in Makefiles fail in a subtle way.
The rules that I've created go to great lengths to ensure
that only the minimum amount of work is done. So if you erase
a file from the INT directory (e.g. DLAGG.o) then only that
file and ones that depend on it (e.g. the mnt/algebra version)
will be rebuilt. Caching the work is vital as Axiom can take
a LONG time to build.

If you use generic rules and touch the original source.spad.pamphlet
file the generic rules work fine. However if you remove the cached
files from the INT directory without touching the source pamphlet the
generic rules fail. They fail trying to remove the NRLIB directories
that are generated by INTERPSYS. My specific rules don't do this.
I've documented this behavior in the Makefile.pamphlet so nobody tries
to repeat the mistake.

Tim
address@hidden
address@hidden