Re: [Axiom-developer] serveral bugs in codebase

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] serveral bugs in codebase
Date: 27 Jul 2003 11:41:14 -0400

Greetings!  Thanks for this work!

Juergen Weiss <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> here is a list of bugs I found, with suggested fixes:

I ran into a few of these too.  They only appear under GCL when the
file in question is loaded from source (i.e. interpreted), or compiled
with safety turned on.  GCL has the ability to bypass these checks for
verified code for the purposes of speed, and this appears to be the
default setting in the axiom build.  I don't know if the axiom source
is setting this explicitly or not.  I'm trying a build now with the
default safety in saved_gcl turned on -- if the axiom source does not
turn it off, this should assist greatly in debugging.  Once everything
works, we should turn it off again to maximize performance. Even
debugsys appears to load compiled code, currently compiled with no
safety checks, from the autoload directory.

I'm using (proclaim '(optimize (safety 3))).  One can check the values
with (compiler::print-compiler-info).

Take care,

David MENTRE <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello Axiom's hackers,
>
> I though it would have been a good idea to have a version of Axiom that
> would have been compiled with all the bells and whistles activated, i.e.
> with (declaim (optimize safety)) (see patch below).  Well, it is not as
> easy as I first thought.
>
> When building intersys, the build fails with the following message:
>   Error:  Lisps arglist maximum surpassed
>   Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
>   Error signalled by GET-NAG-CHAPTER.
>
> Has anybody an idea why it fails with (declaim (optimize safety)) and
> not with the usual build (safety 0)?
>
> Best regards,
> d.

Take care,