Re: [Axiom-developer] Version number on Axiom code

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Version number on Axiom code
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 11:19:18 -0400

> It would be very nice to have a version number on axiom code. Therefore,
> when reporting an issue or a bug, we could know to which version it
> refers. In the same way, a patch could be given for a specific version
> number.
>
> You could probably follow Linux kernel use of putting version number in
> the main Makefile.
>
> AXIOM_VERSION := 0.1.45
>
> You would update it each time you upgrade the CVS.

There is code (called yearweek) in src/interp/util.lisp.pamphlet
that "timestamps" Axiom during the build process. The format of
Axiom's version number (badly) documented in the file. It is also
documented in src/interp/Makefile.pamphlet. It is a variable of
the form:

  YYYYMMDDxxx where YYYY is the year, MM is the month, DD is the day
  and xxx is a unique number identifying a build.

Every interpsys image should have a *yearweek* variable, thus:

interpsys
> )lisp *yearweek*

but I see it is broken (sigh). It gets set automatically at system
build time, uniquely identifying the build.

I'll fix this.

Tim
address@hidden
address@hidden