Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: CCL development

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: CCL development
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 00:39:16 -0500

> Somehow we need to ensure that all the useful but undocumented
> information about Axiom and CCL stored in Themos and my brains is made
> explicit, so please let me know about any problems you encounter.
> Although I can't promise to be able to help I will certainly try.

One particular problem I'm chasing is that algebra files that contain
lookups like:
        if S has SetCategory then SetCategory
fail by going into an infinite look in knownInfo (info.boot).
It appears that this code has been rewritten and no longer works in
common lisp although it must somehow work in CCL. knownInfo does in
fact find that (has s SetCategory) exists but then appears to call
itself again. The offending code appears to be:

    -- This line caused recursion on predicates which are no use in deciding
    -- whether a category was present.
    -- or/[AncestorP(cat,LIST CAR u) for u in CADR catlist | knownInfo CADR u]
=> true
    or/[AncestorP(cat,LIST CAR u) and knownInfo CADR u for u in CADR catlist]
=> true
    false

The call to knownInfo in this line recurses infinitely. This bug is holding
up the final algebra build. Any insight as to why this was rewritten and/or
why it recurses when it has clearly found the property would be most welcome.

Tim