[Axiom-developer] Re: Windows and TeXmacs

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Windows and TeXmacs
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 12:14:57 -0500

Tim,

> Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 11:30:12 -0500
> What do you feel are the issues to get it [TeXmacs] to
> run in a Mingw environment?

The MinGW environment is just native windows. It has no
special unix emulation layer. To get TeXmacs to compile
under MinGW and run under Windows requires (at least)
some replacement for the x11 library. There does exist
an open source preliminary version of such a replacement
library that interfaces directly with the Windows api
(no x-windows necessary). I have discussed it briefly
with another developer who has used it successfully (with
a few changes/additions). This might be an option for
TeXmacs. David Allouche (texmacs developer) has done a
review of the other requirements for TeXmacs on windows
and (I believe) considers such a port to Windows possible.
However I do not think it is a priority for now.

I have only done some rather unsophisticated C programming
in Windows so I do not have any feeling at all about how
long it might take me (working basically from scratch) to
make such a change. My preference would be for me to
contribute to the effort at some higher level or a small
and externally directed part of it.