[Axiom-developer] address@hidden: Re: atan2]

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] address@hidden: Re: atan2]
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 10:01:01 -0400

Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 07:55:56 +0100 (BST)
From: "Dr A.C. Norman" <address@hidden>
To: root <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: atan2
Sender: "Dr A.C. Norman" <address@hidden>

On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, root wrote:

> Arthur,
>
> I'm trying to build the cslbase directory files.
> The build is blowing up looking for the definition of
> functions like atan2, etc. I've searched the whole
> code base and cannot find the source.
> Where is the source for these math functions?
>
> Tim

Glad to be in touch - I had been intending to signal you but have now
become somewhat swamped under start of term etc.

sin, cos, atan2 are in the standard C library, as in #include <math.h>.
On SOME systems you need to link with "-lm" to pick them up, on many
others they are there without fuss. On my Red Hat 7.3 you can find the
actual declarations hidden in obscure mess in
/usr/include/bits/mathcalls.h that /usr/include/math.h itself #includes.
On some machines many of these get open-compiled when the floating point
unit has magic to do them.

I have been finding the nested Makefiles hard to sort things out through.
I had hoped to do test builds on Windows which is the system I run at
home, and my next choice would have ben cygwin there. With the build
process as messy as it is at present windows is not an easy prospect.
Under cygwin when I do step 1, ie "make" in the development directory,
cygwin make coredumps on me.  The linux setup says it is for glibc2.1 and
I have 2.2 on Red Hat 7.3... it has been much harder and uphill work to
get started than I had hoped!

         Arthur