Re: Moving avrdude to Git ?

From: Xiaofan Chen
Subject: Re: Moving avrdude to Git ?
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 11:32:06 +0800

On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 6:15 AM Joerg Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de> wrote:

> As Doom wrote:
>
> > Regarding the already allocated name, would you reconsider the question to
> > move to GitHub
> > if I get back *avrdude* GitHub account name for the project ?
>
> Again, it's not a matter of Git or not, it's a matter of someone
> converting the remaining infrastructure. I can export the issues on
> Savannah, but the result is only a simple HTML blurb. It has a bit of
> structure, but it's not like a nice XML document you can easily
> parse. So it needs work, to read and parse that HTML, and hack a
> script that imports all this into Github.

Good point.

For smaller projects it is not a big problem. I migrated libusb-win32
and libusbk from Sourceforge to github. But then I have to manually
migrate the issues in github. Luckily we have not many issues
in Sourceforge. We keep the mailing list in Sourceforge.

Ref: less than 30 issues before migration
https://github.com/mcuee/libusb-win32/issues
https://github.com/mcuee/libusbk/issues

> > PS : You're maybe "alone" in the project because the official repo is not
> > on GitHub !
>
> I'm not so sure about that.
>
> What I really don't need is people sending more pull requests. It took
> me years to find the time and energy to process the already existing
> patches (which is roughly the equivalent of a pull request). What it
> really needs is people who are willing to work on all those requests
> and reported issues, review the patches, try and test them, suggest
> what needs to be done before they are acceptable.

Very good points. Pull-request is important but more important
is the people who want to spend time to review the patches,
diagnose the reported issues, try and test the patches, ...

I am not so sure libusb is a good comparison or not to avrdude, but I
think it is an important project but we are really short of maintainers
and reviewers.
Ref: https://github.com/libusb/libusb/issues/947

Moving to github may help a bit but will not fundamentally change
the issues projects like libusb and avrdude are facing.

--
Xiaofan