Re: [avrdude-dev] Problem with TPI and "serbb" mode (giving up)

From: Wayne Holder
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Problem with TPI and "serbb" mode (giving up)
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2019 15:45:10 -0700

Well, I'm going to throw in the towel on this one.  I've tried just about
everything I can think of to try and diagnose and fix the problem, but
everything has come up short.  Most recently I've tried:

1. Using another input pin, such as DCD, instead of CTS as the MISO pin ---
No change
2. Adding delays up to a full second to wait before reading the MISO pin
--- No change
3. Unsoldering the FTDI FT232R chip and replacing it with one ordered from
Mouser to make sure I wasn't using a counterfeit -- No change
4. Removing old FTDI drivers, or 3rd party drivers that might interfere --
No change

I was really hoping I could get this to work, as I think being able to use
an inexpensive programming option like this would make a nice addition to
my ATTiny10IDE <https://github.com/wholder/ATTiny10IDE> project.  But,
alas, I've already spent much more time on this than it was probably
worth.  However, I'm very grateful for all the suggestions members of this
group have offered to help me investigate this.  Thanks to everyone!

My best guess on what's wrong is that, for some unknown reason, the
serbb_getpin() function in in serbb_posix.c is not working properly on my
system, as this is the level at which things seem to stop working.  Perhaps
this is due to some other factor, such a problem in the version
of macOS (10.14.2 (18C54) "Mojave") I'm using, or some other external
factor.  I'm just not sure.

As a final note, if anyone has managed to use AVRDUDE 6.3 to program an
ATTiny10 using macOS Mojave, I've love to hear from you.  Or, if anyone
wants to try to reproduce my results, please contact me directly by email
and I'll be happy to send you an ATTiny10 soldered onto a breakout board
that you can use to try this.

Wayne