Re: [avrdude-dev] EDBG is up for testing

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] EDBG is up for testing
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 23:20:17 +0100

As Rick Mann wrote:

> I see, and that UC3 then communicates with the XMEGA via PDI or
> JTAG?

Exactly.

> Seems like it should be possible to create the necessary CMSIS-DAP
> endpoints in the XMEGA (with USB support) and debug it internally
> (although, I'm not sure if the CPU has access to the PDI registers).

I don't think you will get full accessibility to the debugging
stuff.  However, that's basically the way debugWIRE works, so it's
definately possible to reach limited debugging capabilities that
way.

However, keep in mind that the CPU has to remain running all the time,
in order serve the USB stuff.

> In any case, I won't be putting a separate AVR32 on my design :-)

I don't even think you'll be able to buy the custom EDBG chip
separately.
--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/