Re: [avrdude-dev] 5.0 Release (again)

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] 5.0 Release (again)
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 09:50:10 -0400

On Sat, Sep 24, 2005 at 08:25:16AM +0200, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> I've seen one minor issue on MinGW: their printf implementation is
> obviously not as C99ish as GCC itself is, so %zd prints out as "zd"
> there.  I'm not sure whether we'd like to consider that bad enough to
> warrant re-releasing 5.0 once again though, but if you can have an eye
> on it, there's one dangerous side-effect: the size_t arg won't be
> consumed from the argument list.  This could cause a crash if the next
> format is a %s.

At this point, I'm very reluctant to re-release, unless there is a
security issue.  Perhaps for WinAVR, a minor patch can be included to
fix it.

If we really need to release again for a very high priority bug or
security fix, I'd say 5.0.1.  And even then, I'd say we do several
"release candidates" first so these things can hopefully get more
exposure and be found before the actual release is rolled and up on
the site.

-Brian
--
Brian Dean