Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: Implementation of of FTD2XX-based AVR programmer i

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Re: Implementation of of FTD2XX-based AVR programmer in avrdude
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:12:47 -0700

Uwe Bonnes wrote:

Try setting it to 2 ms. For me, 1 ms had no effect.

No effect.  Nor did 10 ms.

I'm not certain this parameter is the problem anyway. My understanding is the latency timer governs how long to wait for further user writes before sending an incomplete buffer.

In this case the delay seems to be a turn-around issue. I'm sending a byte with SCLK low using FT_Write, then reading a byte with FT_GetBitMode for the pin status, then sending a byte with SCLK high, etc. Maybe it's the case that there is a receive latency timer in the hardware that isn't settable, and that's where the delay is.

Anyway, that's probably enough FTDI specific email traffic for the list. When I get back from my trip I'll dive into this with a fresh mind, and set up a support call with FTDI if needed.

I may hack in a flag into avrpart.h that indicates whether each command needs a result, and take advantage of that in pgm->cmd() to batch write the 32 bits and fake a response value.

-Johnathan