Re: [avr-libc-dev] Interested in 64-bit printf support?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Interested in 64-bit printf support?
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2016 23:25:20 +0100

As George Spelvin wrote:

> I could just pass this over to the TICC project, but is there any interest
> in me making the necessary overhauls to vfprintf to incorporate this?

Basically, yes, having 64-bit integer printing support in vfprintf()
would certainly be cool.

My only concern from avr-libc's point of view would be how to enable
this.  So far, we've got three different link-time options for
vfprintf(), "standard", "reduced", and "floating-point".  If we add
the 64-bit support to the latter (in the sense of "full-featured"), it
might hit people who are really only intersted in floating-point
support.  OTOH, people who are actually only interested in 64-bit
integer formatting would be forced to also take the load for FP
support.

In contrast, if we make it more fine-grained, we'd end up with

. reduced (minimal size)              (-lprintf_min)
. standard (no 64-bit integer, no FP) (plain -lc)
. floating-point (no 64-bit integer)  (-lprintf_flt)
. 64-bit integer (no floating-point)  (-lprintf_64)
. full-featured (FP and 64-bit int)   (-lprintf_full)

I think it's possible to have it that way, even though buld-time for
the library will increase.

(Well, it would really get interesting if someone came up with 64-bit
double numbers in the compiler and library then. :-)
--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/