[avr-libc-dev] vargs and ... doesn't work?

From: Joerg Desch
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] vargs and ... doesn't work?
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 13:35:52 +0200

First of all I want to say thanks to Björn Haase for his 256x patches.

I've built the avr toolchain today. I'm using Ubuntu Warty (nearly the
same as debian sarge) as host system. The toolchain is built with gcc
3.3.4 (default of warty).

The other components are:
binutils-060523
gcc-4.2-20060513
avr-libc-1.4.4

The patches I used are:
mega_256x_avrlibc_5.patch.txt
mega_256x_binutils_5.patch.txt
mega_256x_gcc_5.patch.txt

I've tried to compile a sample of the "Procyon AVRlib" (for the mega2560),
which I've used with my previous system (mega128). The "rprintf" module
uses "..." as parameter and later va_list for it's implementation of
rprintf().

The usage of "..." or va_list seems to make problems. The passed pointer
for the format string is always invalid. It neither points to ASCIIZ
string neither is it in the expected address range.

After this, I've added some calls to avr-libc's printf. While puts works
as expected, printf() fails. Most of the time, there is no output.
Sometimes, it print something stupid until it finds a 0x00.

Have someone experiences with the va_list functions with an mega256x as
target?

I couldn't debug the code, because avr-objcopy can't generate the coff
file for AVR Studio.

Thanx for your help.
--
Email: Joerg Desch <jd DOT vvd AT web DOT de>