Re: [avr-libc-dev] Is it needed to use '_U()'?

From: Marek Michalkiewicz
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Is it needed to use '_U()'?
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 22:18:52 +0200

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 09:21:13PM +0200, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
> As Dmitry K. wrote:
>
> > Is it any reason to use '_U()'?
>
> I can only guess about the idea here.

Your guess is correct.  Before avr-binutils port, avr-gcc (then
maintained as a patch, not yet in the official source) was using
the AVA assembler/linker (with its own object file format, and
many limitations) which used underscores (if I remember correctly -
it was long long ago...).

> I don't think that policy will ever change ;-) (as even for other
> architectures, it's usually not needed anymore since the register
> distinction is done otherwise, like by prefixing registers with a
> "%"), so from my point of view, that macro can be dropped.

Yes, it can be dropped.

Marek