Re: [avr-libc-dev] Automated testing project

From: Eric Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Automated testing project
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 15:50:44 -0600

Joerg Wunsch wrote:
As Peeter Vois wrote:

I'm thinking what would I do with the testing environment. We could
merge it with avr-libc project or create a new project for libc
automated testing.

I'm quite busy right now, and wish I'd already made avr-libc-1.4.0
reality.

Anyway, after that happened, it already became pretty clear to me
we need some sort of regression test.  Currently, for any new
device, I'm running a small test program on it to see whether the
library adaptation for the new device actually works.

After seeing how GCC uses dejagnu, I've already thought about using
that for regression tests, but I'm open for any option here.

One major showstopper could be the limited device support in
simulavr/simulavrxx though.  Basically, when extending the library
for new devices, it would require the simulation to also cover that
new device in order to make this a useful option.

Right. All of the open source AVR simulators that I've seen (simulavr, simulavrxx, avrora) are incomplete wrt. covering all AVR devices. Simulation is probably the biggest hole in the entire open source AVR software development toolchain.

But I definitely agree that a testsuite for avr-libc is needed and would be great to have. It's been on our todo list for probably over 2 years.

Eric

--
Eric Weddington