Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: Revised release criteria for GCC 4.0

From: Bernardo Innocenti
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Re: Revised release criteria for GCC 4.0
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 00:42:46 +0100

Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
Joerg Wunsch wrote:

What's their CVS [commit] access policy?

gcc/binutils/gdb rules are very strict.  All developers
must sign FSF papers before you legally significant
patches can be committed.

After a few good patches have been approved and committed
by regular maintainers, a developer can ask for CVS write
access and get an account.  He's still required to get
non-obvious patches reviewed and approved before committing.

Newlib is perhaps not subject to the same rules.  It's even
under a BSDish license.  Judging from CVS activity, it receives
very little new development, but of course it's being bugfixed
and maintained as needed to keep it working on all supported
targets.

Looking at newlib's home-page (http://sources.redhat.com/newlib/),
I see newlib's contribution policy is much friendlier than the
typical FSF project:

Newlib thrives on net contributions from people like you. We're looking for
contributions of code, bugfixes, optimizations, documentation updates, web page
improvements, etc. A nice testsuite to automate the testing of newlib is also
needed. Contributions are currently done by posting patches and ideas to
address@hidden; check out the mailing list section to find out more.

Reading through the mailing-list, though, it appears they use
a kind of formal review/approval process similar to GCC's.
(which I don't dislike at all, I recommend it to any project
because it greatly increases code quality).

\X/  http://www.develer.com/