Re: [avr-libc-dev] Sample project - LedFlash

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Sample project - LedFlash
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 22:44:52 +0100

As E. Weddington wrote:

> > Bzgl. Makefile: Habe ich grundsätzlich aus dem Sample von Eric
> > übernommen. Die TABs waren mir auch aufgefallen, da es aber keine
> > Probleme gab, habe ich die nicht rausgemacht. Da sind auch COMPILE
> > anstelle CC etc. drin. Kann ich aber gerne überarbeiten.

[In short: my complaint was that all our examples should follow a
single Makefile style, and all those non-conventional makefile
macros like COMPILE for CC etc. annoyed me a little.  Also, TABs
are only allowed in front of commands not macros, even though gmake
tolerates them in front of a macro.  Since TABs are hard to distinguish
them from spaces, i'd vote to have no spaces before a macro name
either.]

> Yes, I make no claims that the sample makefile in WinAVR has anything
> to do with Unix standards.

Ah, i didn't know you're the culprit. :-)

> It was modified from the AVR Freaks
> distribution and I kept the same variable names because it would be
> slightly easier for newbies to understand COMPILE than CC, etc.

Maybe.  But i'd rather annotate the Makefile then somehow as opposed
to deviate too much from traditional conventions (that have a more than
20-year tradition).  Most of these macros have reasonable predefined
values, only some of them need overrides to cope with our special tool
names (avr-cc instead of cc), and a few others need additions.

> But because this sample would be rolled into avr-libc and be for
> *all* platforms then I would encourage changing the makefile to
> conform to Unix standards.

Plus whatever is required to make the Win users happy (like the addition
of objtool).  Could probably be handled by the auto* tools again.  We've
been ignorant about this by now, but when we are going to ship our
example Makefiles to the Great Unwashed Masses, we need to make sure they
won't cause us too much support hassles :), because as we all know, people
don't RTFM, then they don't RTFM, then they ask in a forum or mailing
list, then they don't RTFM, and only eventually when being forced, they
start RTFMing. :-)