[avr-libc-dev] Re: avr-libc-dev archives

From: E. Weddington
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] Re: avr-libc-dev archives
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 14:42:39 -0700

On 17 Dec 2002 at 22:31, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> As E. Weddington wrote:
>
> So yes, i've seen that FAQ entry submission.  I have to think a bit
> about it.  It seems all you gonna do is to create a bootloader.  So
> why don't you simply relocate the entire .text segment?

The issue is not creating a bootloader. It's the FAQ of how to
relocate code to a fixed address. The bootloader stuff is just an
example.

There's currently an unanswered question on avr-gcc-list that fits
this.

> Normally, no program is going to provide the code for both, the
> bootloader and the regular application, within a single ELF file.

I do. The bootloader code is part of the regular application. This
will be for upgrading the software when the unit is in the field. If
you recall on this list, I posted an RFC about adding a file to
avrlibc, avr-boot.h, which provides a low-level API to read / write
the flash, clearing the RWW section, etc. It's been tested on a 128,
i.e. it uses RAMPZ to access the entire 128 memory. Several people
have asked for it and have used it with success. The API is
essentially inline assembly macros.