Re: [avr-libc-dev] [RFC] updates for sfr dox

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] [RFC] updates for sfr dox
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 10:29:11 -0600

On 22 Aug 2002 at 9:01, Theodore A. Roth wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Joerg Wunsch wrote:
>
> :) > I'll commit this tomorrow if there are no objections.
> :)
> :) My only concern is whether to move out the deprecated macros into
> :) <avr/compat.h> instead.
>
> Is that going to be included in one of the std files? If not, we will
> break user's code, which I think we should try to keep to a minimum
> for the next release.
>
> Is there any way to have the compiler emit a warning message when the
> user try to compile something that uses a deprecated interface? I
> think this would be the most "gentle" way to nudge users away from the
> old interfaces.

There's the 'deprecated' attribute, but AFAIK it only applies to
types, variables, and functions (see GCC manual).

Taking a look at the C preprocessor manual, I don't see anything
about being able to deprecate a macro (although that might be a good
idea for an extension). The only suggestion I found was in:
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/cpp/Diagnostics.html#Diagnostics
which suggested to put obselete stuff in header file and add a
#warning to the file.

This kinda already goes with Joerg's suggestion of putting the macros
in <avr/compat.h>.

Eric