Re: GCC bug?

From: Trampas Stern
Subject: Re: GCC bug?
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 11:20:59 -0500

Maybe one day even a problem in 32bit architectures.

On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 7:50 PM Bruce D. Lightner <lightner@lightner.net> wrote:
Ian,

Just from a purely AVR architecture point of view, the AVR_HAVE_RAMPD #define indicates that the AVR chip in question supports the "RAMP" paging register, described as follows:

   RAMPD
   Register concatenated with the Z-register enabling direct addressing of the whole data space on MCUs
   with more than 64KB data space.

Eventually the originally tiny AVR chips' addressable memory got so big that we needed a "paging" register.  (That's a repeating theme with every 8-bit/16-bit microcontroller family.)

So the "RAMPD" register needs to be saved along with the X, Y and Z "special function" registers, if it is present.

Best regards,

Bruce