Re: avr-crypto-lib

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: avr-crypto-lib
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 20:37:10 +0200

On 29/05/2021 18:45, BERTRAND Joël wrote:
> David Brown a écrit :

>>>     Do you think I have to replace these allocations by malloc()/free() or
>>> alloca() ? I haven't written theses routines, but I can try to fix them.
>>> But I would be sure my issue comes from this kind of allocation.
>>>

>> A VLA like the one above is fine when using a decent C compiler - which
>> MSVC is not.  (It's an okay C++ compiler, but has traditionally failed
>> to support C99.  I gather it's a bit better with the most recent
>> versions, but it still has its own silly ideas about some features and
>> library functions.)
>>
>> You do have to be aware that a VLA like this gets allocated on the data
>> stack.  If you are using an RTOS and have limited stack size, that can
>> quickly be an issue.  (alloca also allocates on the stack.)
>>
>> If you can, you should try to allocate this array statically, using a
>> maximum size for the array.  That gives you a much clearer idea of the
>> sizes you need, and whether or not you have space for everything on the
>> device.  It avoids run-time complications or allocation failures, and
>> the risk of memory fragmentation (malloc/free should be avoided in
>> embedded systems whenever possible).  And it will be noticeably more
>> efficient on an AVR.
>
>       OK. If I understand, in my case, this code should run as expected as
> gcc is C99 compliant.

AFAIK VLA's will work fine (though less efficiently than a statically
allocated array).

>       If I check pointers, I see that high value returned by malloc() (I use
> malloc() to allocate private and public keys for some reasons) is 0xde6.
> Thus heap ends at 0xde6+0xff+0x2. Current stack is about 0x3f62.

Try to avoid any kind of malloc() in all code on an AVR.

>       Only two solutions : avr-crypto-lib is broken or I have done a mistake
> in my code... And I think I have a bug in this code.
>
>       RSA encoding computes (code word**65537)%modulus if I remember. Length
> of codeword is 256 bytes. I suppose (code word**65537) cannot be saved
> in available RAM. I will check next monday with exponent=3.

The operation "(x ** y) % z" is done as a combined calculation, not by
calculating "(x ** y)" and then reducing it modulo "z".  Basically, you
do "x = code_word;" then "x = (x ** 2) % modulus;" 16 times, and finally
"x = (x * code_word) % modulus;".  Even then, it still takes a fair
amount of working ram for an AVR, and quite a bit of processing time.

Such encryption can work on an AVR that is big enough, but it is not a
good fit for a microcontroller of that kind.