Re: [avr-gcc-list] May avr-gcc emit EIJMP/EICALL?

From: Jan Waclawek
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] May avr-gcc emit EIJMP/EICALL?
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 11:13:14 +0200

>So then the binutily have to be fixed. avr-gcc already relies on relaxation.

Are you saying that I can't use avr-gcc WITHOUT using -relax on avr-ld? Then
avr-gcc or directly avr-ld should at least warn about it, or even better, force
it.

Nevertheless, I don't think that's a good idea. The linker relaxations are
complex, involve several mutually not always related operations, and users may
have reasons why they don't want to use them.

>You have a description of the bug? Just saw a rather lengthy chat on freaks
>without pointing to the very problem...

Actually, the *pointers* were given several times, e.g. in
http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=849597#849597
;-)

There are two independent bugs.

One is, that the trampolines without relax are broken.
http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=707285#707285

Second is a genuine -relax bug.
http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=764532#764532

And I have already been preached by Joerg for not submitting it to the linker
tracker, thank you. :-)

>> That sounds for me like a superior solution [...]
> [...] 24-bit pointers [...]

I did not realize that. I take the above back.

JW