[avr-gcc-list] Why are we using EICALL and EIJMP for AVR256?

From: Andrew Hutchinson
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Why are we using EICALL and EIJMP for AVR256?
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 23:12:17 -0500

The patterns for AVR mega 256 use EICALL an EIJMP

Both require EIND to be set to provide upper address bits

However, we are using linker trampolines for both, so in either case the 16 bit jump or call is to the trampolines.

Are not the trampolines always located in first 128Kbytes? Thus we should be using ICALL and IJMP and not needing to set use EIND at all.

What have I miss-understood?

Andy