Re: [avr-gcc-list] WINAVR with GCC 4.3.3

From: Royce Pereira
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] WINAVR with GCC 4.3.3
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 22:07:06 +0530

Hi,

I have a project built around a Tiny26.

It was compiled with WinAVR-20070525.

I'd stuck to this version for a long time, until recently when I upgraded to 20090313.

Soon after, I had to recompile my project due some change in specs.

Imagine my shock when AVRstudio complained that the hex file was too big for the device !

Upon further checking I found the code size at 2234 bytes - correctly too big for the tiny26.

I quickly compiled with the older WinAVR, and the code size was back to original- 1760 bytes ...whew - tears of relief !!

The new WinAVR bloated the code by about 500 bytes . Wow.

Various posts on this list have indicated that each new release bloats the code ??

If that is true, then, by 2012, I'll have to redesign my current Tiny2313 / Tiny26 projects around a Mega128 :-)) !!!

(lol)

Regards,

--Royce.