Re: [avr-gcc-list] proposal to put PROGMEM in separate sections

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] proposal to put PROGMEM in separate sections
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 17:28:21 +0200 (MET DST)

"Sean D'Epagnier" <address@hidden> wrote:

> #define PROGMEM MAKE_PGM_SECTION_(__LINE__)

Curious, shouldn't that also include __FILE__?  Otherwise, multiple
entries from the same line number in different files will go into the
same subsection.

> I propose adding this to avr-libc.. it seems like only a benefit
> since it can reduce code size (in my case by 4kb) any objections?

Well, personally I'm not a big fan of that kind of automatisms (I've
always got the feeling that it's only helping in supporting sloppy
programming -- why would you want to define something if you
eventually won't need it at all?), but I wouldn't mind adding it if
properly filed as a patch tracker.  Of course, without all the #undef
etc. but as a true patch that modifies avr/pgmspace.h.