Re: [avr-gcc-list] mcall-prologues completely broken for >128k

From: Sean D'Epagnier
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] mcall-prologues completely broken for >128k
Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 22:39:33 -0600

I got myself a little confused here..

I was using gcc 4.2.2, and an older binutils at first because it has
superior code size.. however this version really is broken for > 128k
parts, and I'm not sure why.. don't care.

Somewhere along the way I set EIND to a nonzero value in my code and
forgot about it, then I had issues with -mcall-prologues with the
newer gcc.  If you don't set EIND at all, I believe the current gcc is
ok.

I managed to modify gcc to set EIND correctly in the call prologue so
that a trampoline entree is no longer needed for every function that
gets prologues_saved which reduced 75 trampolines from my program.
Unfortunately this actually slightly increased code size because 2
bytes are added to all the functions that get prologues_saved, and
there was no exception for the lower 128k which don't need trampolines

So.. I don't think using the indirect register really helps much..
there are various ways I can handle things, but no clear winner, and
it's looking like 100 bytes or less difference at most.  If we had a
part with 1meg of flash or more, it might start to matter more and it
could be changed.

Instead I just converted gcc to only emit icall and ijmp instead of
eicall and eijmp.  This seems to work well, and avoids the problem of
EIND not being set right.  The only place now that uses eijmp is in
setjmp.S  This is good because even in the newest gcc, if EIND was set
by a longjmp, then a function is called with prologue saves.. or even
a function pointer or address label is invoked, then the program would
crash.  This is fixed now.

I am still a little worried that in the middle of a longjmp, an
interrupt goes off between setting EIND and eijmp, and this interrupt
sets EIND to a different value.  It would still cause a crash.  This
is only if you use longjmp in both program and interrupt handler.  The
solution is to guard it.  I'll have a patch for it too.

Sean