Re: [avr-gcc-list] accessing carry bit

From: Dave N6NZ
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] accessing carry bit
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:11:15 -0800

John Regehr wrote:
microcontroller compilers support - the ability to write things like "if (CARRY) ..." can be a big win for some code.

A killer app for exposing some of the condition code flags to C may be that this facilitates very efficient integer over/under flow detection. Integer overflows are the source of many nasty security holes.

I missed the earlier comments on this, but isn't getting to the condition codes a simple library of inline asm functions? Am I over-simplifying?

Of course, there are plenty of ways that could screw up optimization (unless optimization is oblivious, in which case optimizer code motion destroys the flag you are after.)

-dave