[avr-gcc-list] Cannot use my new JTAG for programming

From: Juergen Harms
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Cannot use my new JTAG for programming
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 17:23:13 +0100

I completed my initial learning period programming an ATmega16 that sits in a STK500v2 - no problems. I now re-did things on a small breadbord (essentially the "simple project" layout of the avr-libc demo-projects), and tried to write the program (initially tested and developed on the STK500) now in-circuit programming with a newly purchased JTAG: and got stuck (and I have correctly written the OCDEN fuse bit to 0).

What works OK:
Calling "avrdude -p m16 -c jtagmkII -P /dev/ttyS0 -t"
and interactively dumping and writing flash, (h/l)fuse, eeprom

What does not work:
Writing program code to flash or eeprom, using avrdude -p m16 -c jtagmkII -P /dev/ttyS0 -U flash:w:timer.hex (or eeprom:w:timer_eeprom.hex)

The response from avrdude is appended to the end of this message (essentially some not necessarily fatal messages complaining about time-out and firmware version), and evidence the the write/readback of program code failed - paritcularly amazing the message that lfuse could not be read properly). Checking in terminal mode after the failed programming tentative, something has been written to the ATmega16 (I did my work with an entirely new processor, no possibility of a "tired" flash memory, and also tried another processor).

I then went back to my STK500v2 and piloted it (not, as before, directly through its RS232 port) but from the JTAG, plugged via the "STK500 JTAG ADAPTER" with the same result: OK in terminal mode, but total failure when trying to write code from a file to flash memory or eeprom.

If I call avrdude with the -v option, I get the following complementary information:

avrdude: Version 5.3.1, compiled on Feb 20 2007 at 22:01:48

         Programmer Type : JTAGMKII
         Description     : Atmel JTAG ICE mkII
         M_MCU hardware version: 0
         M_MCU firmware version: 1.06
         S_MCU hardware version: 0
         S_MCU firmware version: 1.06
         Serial number:          00:a0:00:00:06:33
         Vtarget         : 5.0 V
         JTAG clock      : 891.7 kHz (1.1 us)

What can I do to further clarify the situation - is it possible that I received a JTAG with an old firmware version (I bought it from a company with which I have only had positive experiences so far) that does not work with the recent version of avrdude ?

Thanks for any help, Juergen

================================= resonse from avrdude

avrdude -p m16 -c jtagmkII -P /dev/ttyS0 -U flash:w:timer.hex
avrdude: jtagmkII_getsync(): S_MCU firmware version might be too old to work correctly

avrdude: jtagmkII_set_devdescr(): timeout/error communicating with programmer (status -1)
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.06s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9403
avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
         To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude: jtagmkII_set_devdescr(): timeout/error communicating with programmer (status -1)
avrdude: reading input file "timer.hex"
avrdude: input file timer.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude: writing flash (5620 bytes):

Writing | | 0% 0.00savrdude: jtagmkII_paged_write(): bad response to write memory command: Unknown JTAG ICE mkII result code 0x94

avrdude: failed to write flash memory, rc=-1

avrdude: jtagmkII_read_byte(): bad response to read memory command: RSP_FAILED avrdude: jtagmkII_read_byte(): bad response to read memory command: RSP_FAILED avrdude: safemode: Verify error - unable to read lfuse properly. Programmer may not be reliable. avrdude: jtagmkII_read_byte(): bad response to read memory command: RSP_FAILED avrdude: jtagmkII_read_byte(): bad response to read memory command: RSP_FAILED avrdude: safemode: Verify error - unable to read lfuse properly. Programmer may not be reliable. avrdude: safemode: Sorry, reading back fuses was unreliable. I have given up and exited programming mode avrdude: jtagmkII_program_disable(): bad response to leave progmode command: RSP_FAILED
avrdude: jtagmkII_close(): bad response to GO command: RSP_FAILED

avrdude done.  Thank you.