Re: [avr-gcc-list] memory layout for bootloader

From: Torsten Mohr
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] memory layout for bootloader
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 18:13:45 +0200

Hi,

[ to use an own linker script or move section .text to 0x1e000 ?]

> No preference, just different designs. One way is to build an
> application with an integrated bootloader; that's what the example is
> hinting at. Some people, the bootloader *is* the application and they do
> move the .text section, and also move the interrupt vectors to the
> bootloader area.

ok, so i see some advantages in writing the bootloader as an own
application and i'd like to go that way.

I'd like to put the reset vector AND ALSO some other vectors in
the bootloader.  This is because i'd like to receive some messages
directly in the bootloader and handle them there.

So i need to forward most of the interrupt vectors to the user application
interrupt vector table at 0x0000.

1.
Is there some way to use the linker script that came with avr-gcc
AND overwrite the vectors section?
Or do i need to write my own linker script if i want to overwrite the vector
table?

2.
The symbols that the interrupt vector table refers to (where it jumps to)
are defined as "weak", as i understand it, correct?
Is there a way to just define that e.g. symbol INT0 is at 0x0002 and do
that for all symbols?

Best regards,
Torsten.