Re: [avr-gcc-list] avrdude, ATMega128

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] avrdude, ATMega128
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 22:14:59 +0200 (MET DST)

Torsten Mohr <address@hidden> wrote:

> I added a new programmer in avrdude.conf:
> programmer
>   id    = "dapa";
>   desc  = "What 'uisp' understands as 'dapa'";
>   type  = par;
>   vcc   = 3;
>   reset = 16;
>   sck   = 1;
>   mosi  = 2;
>   miso  = 13;
> ;

Btw., please take a moment, and fill out a patch tracker on the
avrdude project for that so it can be included by default in future
releases.

> I doubt the value for "Device signature" that i read on the
> ATMega128, which reads as 0x000102 whenever i connect to the target
> the second time.

This would normally be an indication of the device having its lock
bits set.  Basically, what you're seeing here is an SPI device that
passes all its values from input straight through to the output.  As
all these read operations feed an address byte into the AVR, in the
case of passthrough mode, you'll read back that same address byte as a
(supposed) value.

Again, this is *normally* an indication of the lock bits set, albeit
that's most likely not the case for you.

> As uisp and avrdude work on an AT90S2343, the programs and the
> settings and the basic hardware seem to be ok, the problem seems to
> be related to the ATMega128 and the hardware it is soldered on.

I can assure you that many people (me included) have programmed a lot
of ATmega128 using simple parallel-port attached dongles with avrdude
before.  So this somehow makes your hardware suspicious.  If this is a
simple, unbuffered programming dongle, this basically leaves the only
option your parallel port is somehow `weird'.

Can you try using a different computer?

> I don't connect directly to the parallel port but use a PCB
> inbetween for proper signal levels.

Hmm, that of course *could* be the root of the problem as well.
Perhaps /RESET is not routed correctly from the programming dongle to
the AVR?

Can you perhaps make your programming dongle connect directly to the
AVR?  Don't worry too much about signal levels.