Re: [avr-gcc-list] [OT] Need For Speed (FPGA)

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] [OT] Need For Speed (FPGA)
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 06:59:27 -0600

Matthew MacClary wrote:

    I would like to second Reza's question about what to do when it
starts looking like your project may need wider, faster computation?
Specifically does anyone have suggestions about how to get the
computation done and also leverage a team's experience with avr-gcc
style development?  I suppose that you could gang several AVRs
together with a shared memory architecture for example.
    A key feature of avr-gcc that I need to keep is that the whole
build process is scriptable.  I am just getting into the Xilinx tool
flow, but when I read through example projects that are basically all
screen shots of mousing around Windows GUIs I get a little nervous
that development would have to slow down to accommodate that style of
development.

I don't know if this will apply, but there is a very interesting article in the latest issue of Embedded Systems Programming about carving up a big project into more manageable chunks by adding processors:
<http://www.embedded.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=161600589>
Obviously, everything depends on being able to meet the project's constraints.

Eric