Re: [avr-gcc-list] efficiency of assigning bits (getting OT)

From: Jim Brain
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] efficiency of assigning bits (getting OT)
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:18:21 -0600

Graham Davies wrote:

... There are times when C's integer promotion is a PITA ...

Which is why I personally insist on a full understanding.
I can't argue with that noble goal, but I want to make sure a full understanding of the C language does not become a requirement for participating in this list. My comments were slanted in that direction. I know that one must have a reasonable understanding of the language to participate here, and I know sometimes the discussion must involve generic C constructs in order to explain GCC behavior, but very few of us have a full understanding of C. I may be the only one on this list who does not have a full grasp of C, so I may speak only for myself. I just enjoy using the C language to write for such a small and capable microcontroller, and sometimes the code doesn't seem to do what I thought it should in my personal projects using the AVR.

Jim

--
Jim Brain, Brain Innovations
address@hidden                                http://www.jbrain.com