Re: [avr-gcc-list] WinAVR 20050214 startup (crt*) source code

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] WinAVR 20050214 startup (crt*) source code
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:30:05 -0700

Jens Andersen wrote:

Hi list,

Im starting a project with Atmeg48 or 88.

My problem is that the code required to disable the watchdog is very different from the older Megas.

Ive downloaded the WinAVR 20050214, but there
is no source code for the varius crt0 files.

Where can i find the source code for these files ?

The source code for the crt* files is from the avr-libc project:
<http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/avr-libc/>

avr-libc has a standard header for interfacing with the watchdog, <avr/wdt.h>. There was some recent improvement in <avr/wdt.h> wrt. the mega48/88. These improvements made it into avr-libc 1.2.3, which in turn is included in the 20050214 release of WinAVR.

I would strongly suggest trying out the new code in <avr/wdt.h> before trying to edit the startup code. Even then, in practically all cases, you don't need to edit the startup code as there are simple ways to add code before main. If the code in <avr/wdt.h> is not working for your device, then please fill out a bug report at the avr-libc project so it can be fixed.

HTH
Eric