AW: [avr-gcc-list] optimizer / Compiler patch

From: Haase Bjoern (PT-BEU/MKP5) *
Subject: AW: [avr-gcc-list] optimizer / Compiler patch
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 11:06:28 +0100

Hi,

I again have had a loook on your this specific case where the zero extension
uses more registers
than would be essential for the task.  For this special case, it is fairly easy
to tell the
compiler to use a more efficient pattern, such that

uint32_t target_bit_variable;

void testUInt8_to_32 (void)
{ target32_bit_variable = returnUInt8function();
}

is compiled to

testUInt8_to_32:
        rcall returnUInt8_function
        sts target32_bit_variable,r24
        sts (target32_bit_variable)+1,__zero_reg__
        sts (target32_bit_variable)+2,__zero_reg__
        sts (target32_bit_variable)+3,__zero_reg__
        ret

instead of

testUInt8_to_32:
        rcall returnUInt8_function
        clr r25
        clr r26
        clr r27
        sts target32_bit_variable,r24
        sts (target32_bit_variable)+1,r25
        sts (target32_bit_variable)+2,r26
        sts (target32_bit_variable)+3,r27
        ret

For this purpose it is simply necessary to add an instruction pattern to
"avr.md" of the type

(define_insn "*mov_MEMint32_REGuint8"
 [(set (match_operand:SI 0 "memory_operand" "")
       (zero_extend:SI(match_operand:QI 1 "register_operand" ""))
  )
 ]
 "CONSTANT_ADDRESS_P(XEXP(operands[0],0))"
 "sts %A0,%A1
        sts %B0,__zero_reg__
        sts %C0,__zero_reg__
        sts %D0,__zero_reg__"
  [(set_attr "length" "4")]
)

I have attached a file containing also the required patterns also for the case
of sign extension
and for also 16 bit target variables (compare attached file).

A similar method possibly could work for other operations (additions, shifting,
...)
involving global variables that are so seldomly used that it is not useful to
hold them in registers.
If one would try to implement this in a similar way as in the above example,
this would, however,
imply that many many additional patterns for each special case would be
required in the machine description.

I would be willing to implement it. I, however, would appreciate a comment of a
more experienced
gcc expert on the proper way to do it (i.e. rather a huge "avr.md" or rather an
implementation whithin
"avr.c" ).

Yours,

Björn

P.S.:
BTW: In my own application, the pattern above did not show up one single time
;-). So it might
be justified to consider "target32_bit_variable = returnUInt8function();" to be
a fairly rare case.