Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-objdump behaviour

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] avr-objdump behaviour
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 09:58:50 -0700

Ben Mann wrote:

Hi,

I have an AVR project which I would like to optimise a little (a lot) and
for this purpose I hoped to use the avr-objdump output.

Sorry for the length of the message, but I've tried to be brief :S

For some functions avr-objdump places source code lines in the .lst file,
while for others it does not...
<snip>

PS  The WinAVR release is 20040720 on Windows.

I'm sorry... What are you actually trying to do?

Do you want a listing that includes both C source and assembly?

Since you are using WinAVR, then you should use the WinAVR Makefile template that comes with it, or use the MFile utility to generate your makefile. The Makefile template (both from WinAVR and Mfile), has commands to generate a .lst file that include mixed C and assembly. This is done when the file is assembled, not from avr-objdump output. The Makefile also generates what it calls an "extended listing" (.lss) file, which is the avr-objdump output from the entire linked ELF file. Would one of these outputs be what you are looking for?

Eric