Re: [avr-gcc-list] libc/fdevopen/calloc/malloc (was gcc-3.4.2 bin forwin

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] libc/fdevopen/calloc/malloc (was gcc-3.4.2 bin forwin xp?)
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 14:56:35 +0100 (MET)

[fdevopen() remplacement with smaller ROM footprint]

Bernard Fouché <address@hidden> wrote:

> I would drop all memory reservation in such a function: for instance
> you can just have one UART that you wish to print on (really common
> case for development) and you don't need to waste 2 _iob hence 24
> bytes of RAM for stderr/stdin.

OK, but at least I have to restrict the size of the table of pointers
then, to say 3 pointers.  The user has to pass the _iob object's space
then in the function.

Sigh, it seems I have to export _iob then in <stdio.h>. :-(  I was
trying to avoid that, I've seen too many crappy old Unix programs
where programmers abused supposedly internal fields of _iob in their
programs, as <stdio.h> did export it to them.