Re: [avr-gcc-list] Unused registers saves/restores ?

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Unused registers saves/restores ?
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 23:17:16 GMT

> > >From the GCC 3.3 manual:
> >
> > ------
> > -fssa
> >      Perform optimizations in static single assignment
> > form. Each function's flow graph is translated into SSA
> > form, optimizations are performed, and the flow graph is
> > translated back from SSA form. Users should not specify
> > this option, since it is not yet ready for production
use.
> > ------
>
> *sigh* You would have thought that an analytical tool as
old as SSA would
> have made it into GCC by now?  Oh well, back to
research ;-)

If you get on the GCC list, you'll find out that they're in
the middle of an "overhaul" I guess you'd call it. Various
people are working on adding new data structures that will
significantly help in bringing in various optimizations.
Some of this stuff I see it looks like might be included in
the 3.4 branch.

You have to remember they're dealing with many front-ends
(languages) and many, many more back-ends (targets) and
they have to do all these changes in incremental steps so
nothing breaks along the way.

Maybe you'd be interested in helping out?

Eric