Re: [avr-gcc-list] software restart

From: TODD BATZLER
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] software restart
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:41:40 -0600

Assuming your external timer module couldn't be made to pull down on the
reset line of the 8515 directly......

How about using your external interrupt isr to put the core to SLEEP in
the power down mode after enabling the watchdog with a shortest possible
timeout? (This assumes the watchdog is already running).  I may be
off-base here, but from what I gather from the data sheet, the watchdog
reset will then wake the processor up like it's a new day.  There are a
couple caveats about external interrupts that you'll need to take a look
at.  BTW, first time I've noticed that the instruction set doesn't
include a specific RESET instruction.

Good luck.

>>> Adrian Cottle <address@hidden> 01/16/03 05:37AM >>>
Does anyone know if i can or what the command is in the AVR compiler to
do a reset via software?
I have a timeout interrupt from an external timer module which i want
to use to cause the interupt which ends up resetting the 8515.

many thanks
adrian

This message is confidential and intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the
computer and destroy any copies. Any review, distribution, copying,
other use of, or the taking of any action in reliance upon its contents
without our prior permission is prohibited.
Internet communications are not always secure and therefore Horstmann
Controls Limited does not accept legal responsibility for this message.

acting on the contents.  Any attachment may contain software viruses, we
cannot accept liability for any damage which you sustain as a result of
software viruses.  You should carry out your own virus checks before
opening any attachment.  Any views or opinions presented are solely
those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Horstmann
Controls Limited.
Horstmann Controls Limited
South Bristol Business Park
Roman Farm Road
Bristol, BS4 1UP
Tel     :       +44 (0) 117 978 8700
Fax     :       +44 (0) 117 978 8701
Web     :       www.horstmann.co.uk
delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service.

avr-gcc-list at http://avr1.org
avr-gcc-list at http://avr1.org