Re: [avr-gcc-list] tool chain bug

From: Denis Chertykov
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] tool chain bug
Date: 26 Sep 2002 01:58:18 +0400

"Theodore A. Roth" <address@hidden> writes:

> The bug is in the latest cvs version of gas. The AVRFREAKs dist is based
> on earlier versions of the software which don't have the problem.
>
> I spent most of yesterday trying to track it down. From what I can tell
> the problem occurs when the assembler sees an insn with a 7-bit
> pc-relatice offset which doesn't have an associated symbol. The lack of a
> symbol seems to confuse the assembler and it never performs a relocation
> fixup, thus the offset gets inserted into the insn as zero.

My thoughts:

The avr-gcc generate the following sequence:
_PC_ = 2
brne _PC_-NNN

Old GAS resolved `_PC_-NNN' as constant expression.
May be something changed in expression handling code in GAS :( and new
GAS resolve `_PC_-NNN' as expression which must be corrected at link
stage. But, as I remember, I don't support linking of 7-bit PC
relative relocations (BFD_RELOC_AVR_7_PCREL).

Denis.
PS: I'm very busy now and I can't fix this bug.

avr-gcc-list at http://avr1.org